Friday, September 10, 2010

Drew The Intern

As you all very well should know, I am spending this semester interning at C-SPAN. Now in most internship situations, I would be making copies, taking out the garbage, and making coffee. Now ask anyone at my Church, as I am sure I make awful coffee. My method is to pour a lot of those little brown granules until I feel as if I have used way to much for one pot. This leads me to believe I am not qualified to be making the beverage of choice for today top television hosts. This rules out any clerical positions for me.

Now let me enlighten you with this story.
Setting: Political Communication Class
Time: about 7:30PM, Wednesday the 8th of September

Near the end of our first class, our professor hands out a packet of three to four pages, stapled. She made herself clear that this would not be graded, and I let go a sigh of relief. To me, this meant it was super easy, or super irrelevant. So this paper turned out to be an assessment of things "related" to communication while being politically correct (this is what I thought the class was about). It was, more or less, a pop quiz to make all the Non-Poli Sci majors(me) realized there is a good reason they are not Poli Sci majors. There were probably 10 ID questions, Name-The-Chief-Of-Staff (of the last 5 presidents), What is each company associated with (Enron, ect.), among other off the wall things.
Now over the course of this assessment, I probably "guessed" 3 or 4 answers right. So that kinda proves I am not cut out for any position where I would be required to show my budding knowledge of anything related to politics.

So that pretty much left me with one option. Well, it actually left me with a few options, but I wont get into that. Ok, I'll get into it a little. There is one internship opening the field of programming, and within that there is something called Field Operations. This is right up my alley. So I applied, and BAM! here I am today, well kind of. After interviewing I was offered the internship.

Yesterday was my first day on the job. It was orientation day. No orientation day is complete with out a cheezy Welcome Video. Now the video we had to watch wasent bad at all, I just found myself laughing the entire time. Now, I am not quite sure what I can talk about and what I cant, dumb I know because I am not at the FBI or anything, but I am just playing it safe. So when I find out if I can talk about EVERYTHING. I will have one awesome post for you all.

In the mean time, the shoot I was at today, probably had... 15 camera crews there. It was legit. I remember one guy was talking about how he spent the past two weeks in Afganistan, and I think he mentioned Shepard Smith, Hillary Clinton, and General Petraus. That was pretty cool.

I have to run out and buy some clothes and some new shoes. So I will have a new blog post maybe over the weekend.

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment